Dog Leads Raid on Bin Laden Compound

by kevin on May 5th, 2011

in -News, Info & Stories, -Newsworthy Animals

World’s Most Interesting Dog

bin laden dog

Could this be the dog?

He can speak French, in Russian… You can see his charisma from space… Sharks have a week dedicated to him…

He also played a key role in the recent raid on Osama Bin Laden’s compound, and has become the world’s most interesting dog.

According to sources, a military dog joined (led?) the American raid on Bin Laden’s compound last week. The mysterious dog was reportedly strapped to the back of a Navy SEAL who was lowered from a Black Hawk helicopter in the raid that ultimately killed Osama Bin Laden.

Last year when asked about dogs role in the war on terror, General Petraeus was quoted as saying, “The capability they bring to the fight cannot be replicated by man or machine.”

Although the White House and Pentagon won’t confirm that the dog took part in the raid, it is reported that the U.S. military employs over 2,700 dogs who are very popular with U.S. Troops; the most common dog breeds being German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois. (Although Labrador Retrievers have had a recent increase in popularity, walking ahead of troops to sniff out potential danger)

belgian malinois dog army

The mystery dog’s role in the raid is also unknown, but one can speculate that it’s mission included sniffing out potential explosives or people hidden within the compound. (Remember that Saddam Hussein was found hiding in a “spider hole” under ground)

News of the mysterious canine hero has been reported by media outlets including the New York Times.

Who is this mystery dog? Stay thirsty, my friends.

more: Who’s the Dog Hero of the raid on Bin Laden’s Compound? – NY Times

bin laden raid dog

Nadeem Khan May 6, 2011 at 12:04 pm

The most important raid of 20th century was lead by a DOG – ROLF !!!

mr. blue May 10, 2011 at 9:55 am

So I’m a dog. I’m a resue animal. I went to a nice home and 10 years later wrote a book..on leadership of all things. Stuff like, herding isn’t leading, dealing with life’s vacuum cleaners, and you don’t have to have a pedigree to be best in show. I learned tons about leadership from my grand”paw” Charlie “Tremendous” Jones, who was a famous writer and speaker. It’s called True Blue Leadership. It’s a cool read. Ruff said.

Alfie from Alfie's Blog May 11, 2011 at 6:23 am

The suspense is killing me – who could this mystery dog be? He must have had lots of training so I don’t envy him – humans can be soooo boring when they want to teach us dogs new tricks.

Mark S May 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Scooby: “French, really? And Russian? Come on. I bet I can take him in Wii.”
Dino: “I bet I can take him in paw wrestling.”
My dogs (chocolate and black labs) are so jealous, haters really :-)

Chill Dogy May 25, 2011 at 10:55 pm

It’s the Beagle Meister (In disguise) of course, the worlds most interesting dog.

Liz Snape May 29, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I love that this story has now brought awareness to the adopting of retired military dogs, sadly military dogs used to be euthanised after their tour of duties and I am so happy that a story like this can bring their heroism to the forefront of the public’s attention and result in higher adoption numbers!