Celebrities Owned by Pugs

by kevin on September 30th, 2010

in dog breeds, Pug

Often described with the Latin phrase, “multum in parvo,” (much in little) Pugs are big personalities in small dogs. The breed has been popular with celebrities for some time, and has been a favorite with royalty for centuries. (starting with the Shang Dynasty in China around 400 B.C.)

Here are some famous Pug owners:

Billy Joel (Fionula)
Brooke Mueller
(Charlie Sheen’s wife)
Gerard Butler
(Lolita)
Goran Visnjic
(Bugsy)
Hugh Laurie

Jessica Alba
(Sid and Nancy)
Paris Hilton (Mugsy)
Tori Spelling (Mimi La Rue)
Valentino (Molly, Milton, Monty, Margot, Maude, Maggie)
Tom Welling – Clark Kent of Smallville (Cook)

pug alba pug goran
pug hilton pug billy joel
dennis quaid pug pug warhol
pug clooney pug danson

Current and former famous Pug owners include:
Woody Harrelson, Ten Danson, Andy Warhol, Jenna Elfman, Josephine Bonaparte, Beverly Mitchell, Lou Ferrigno, Sammy Davis Jr., Paris Hilton, Debra Messing, Maura Tierney, Denise Richards, Tommy Hilfiger, Queen Victoria, Kelly Brook, and King William of Orange.

queen victoria

Queen Victoria; Pug Slave

Pugs have also had a prominent role in politics and royalty since the Shang Dynasty in China. (400 BC) They were the official dog of the House of Orange (Dutch 16-18th Century) and several Pugs owned Queen Victoria. Their prominence in places of power causes some to speculate that they have been pulling the strings of global politics for centuries.

Mrs G October 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm

A Pug actually saved the life of William, Prince of Orange by giving the alarm that the Spanish were approaching. No wonder they are so popular with the celebs… the paparazzi are coming, the paparazzi are coming!!

Rick October 18, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I never would have thought pugs would have been that popular among royalty. Interesting tidbit.

Sarah Wilson October 20, 2010 at 7:16 am

To meet a pug is to love a pug. Court jesters supreme, you simple cannot go through a day without at least a few smiles when in the company of a pug. At least I cannot. Thanks for doing all the leg work to put these pix together. Enjoyed it. :)

PawshPal October 20, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Adding to the list:

Stan Lee (Marvel comics publisher)
Rob Zombie

Colin Instone October 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Thought all you Pug owned people should know that we have a brand new site with several Pug images by Robert J May available on coffee mugs and several other items!

alli :) November 3, 2010 at 4:59 pm

this seems like a really cool blog. You truly are devoted to doing this. I also love dogs (well, I’m pretty sure you do) especialy pugs!

shupe November 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I did not know that one of my favorite celebrities owned a pug. One of the cutest dogs around. Wonder if they get along with cats?

Whippetlover November 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I’ve always wanted to paint a pug! I rescued one once and we had to take him to a friend’s house while we rode around and put up posters because it was summer and he was panting so loudly we couldn’t hear ourselves think! Obviously by my website, whippets are my breed but the eyes of pug are like a cup of coffee. You have to wake up!

Grant November 15, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Well i guess the dog of choice is now the pug!

Kylie November 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

That is nice information for celebrity pets. I think pugs are quite an excellent choice. I wonder if some celebrity pug owners are also into rabbit pets. If so, I bet their rabbit hutch would be definitely grand.

Larry November 18, 2010 at 6:24 am

Pugs are the best dogs! My family has had them for years. They are very even tempered and make great pets. It’s hard not to become very attached to them as they are very affectionate toward their owners and unlike some breeds, they enjoy interacting with people.

Pug Power!

eddie December 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm

just to say i think the pugs are a lovely breed but sadly not as cute as the one and only french bull dog, quite a few celebrity own one …. so pick the frenchie …

I Said Sit December 16, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Pugs are definitely adorable! All you pug owners keep in mind during the busy holiday travel season that it can be dangerous to fly with your pug. A cargo compartment doesn’t have good temperature control and short-nosed dogs have a harder time to cool off by panting and it can inhibit their breathing. Always try to fly with them in the cabin. Happy Howl-idays!!

Pugtastic_MT January 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Pugs are awesome :) they aren’t as fragile as the other toy breeds and are so much like humans ? I can’t imagine life without them!

Make sure you are buying from ethical breeders committed to preserving the Pug Dog and look for them at the PDCA.org also Pug rescue groups :)

Great blog, I will definitely frequent your musings!

Milton Wm. Hardy April 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’m a direct descendent of Wiliam the Conqueror (Wm. of Orange). I had no idea someone in my lineage, that far back had pugs, not to mention with my same middle name. I am between pugs right now, lost 2 last year, one from cancer and one from heart trouble. I have 5 pugs over the years and expect to have more. They are a part of my life and my family. They complete me.

Puglover October 13, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I’m a proud owner of 2 pugs and also hope to become a breeder. Pugs have a personality all their own. They love kids and honestly my 2 think they are one of my kids. Anywhere we are they want to be too. They are hams for the camera too!

Life's Hapnin April 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Never underestimate the PugLic! These are amazing lil gals and guys! If you are looking for a loyal, kid friendly addition to your family look for a Pug Rescue near you!
Check out our site for funny pug images. A portion of all sales from our Puglic line go directly to our local Pug Rescue.
Need a hug? Get a pug!

Love my pug October 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m crazy about pugs. Thank you for sharing. I’m heartbroken because my little buddy passed away in May and I don’t know if any poochie could ever fill his little paws. Thanks for sharing with us.